- We opened our doors in January 1997 as the Australian office of the Center for Autism and Related Disorders (CARD), a global leader in Autism treatment.
- Today, The Learning Clinic is Sydney’s oldest and most experienced ABA clinic – we have been helping children, adolescents and adults with autism to learn, grow and succeed for over 20 years.
- The Center for Autism and Related Disorders is a leader in this area and we are proud to deliver their gold standard training to our team and make it available to external therapists.
- Our intense ABA therapist training workshop follows a strict protocol to train therapists in using best practice when working with children with autism within an ABA program.
- Our training is delivered face to face by an experienced clinician so we can take the time to answer questions and provide feedback.
- Our training is delivered to small groups (maximum of 8) to ensure there is adequate time and attention given to every trainee.
- Our training is hands on, incorporating plenty of role play to ensure trainees are comfortable and confident in the delivering therapy in the field.
- TLC therapists benefit from our initial intensive training as well as regular ongoing training and updating of their skills as they progress in their ABA careers.
- On top of the initial theory and role play training with an experienced clinician, TLC therapists spend a minimum of 30 hours in the field training with an experienced TLC senior therapist.
- TLC therapists undergo written and practical assessments, which they are required to pass with a minimum score of 80%, before they are able to work 1:1 with children in our programs.
- TLC therapists are required to work a minimum of 15 hours per week to ensure confident, strong ABA skills and understanding of ABA processes and frameworks.
- TLC therapists receive first aid training annually and have valid working with children checks.
- TLC therapists are covered by our workers compensation and public liability insurance.
- All families accessing TLC services receive personalised initial training about ABA with specific instructions on how to use these new found skills at home with their children.
- All families accessing TLC services receive ongoing training to ensure that skills being taught within the program are being demonstrated outside of the therapeutic setting.
- Research shows the children have an increased chance at success in their ABA programs when there is parental involvement.
- Our consultants use a combination of data, feedback from parents and therapists and observation of the child in the clinical setting to make programming decisions.
- We strongly believe that we need to observe and get to know our clients to be able to program to suit their needs.
- Any clients accessing intense therapy services will receive fortnightly supervision of their programs.
- Programs are more successful and errors are minimised when therapists and clients have regular access to a consultant to guide the program forward.
- In the long term, this intensive supervision will lead to shorter programs and increased success.
- We design programs that suit our clients’ strengths as well as their family dynamics and circumstances. We design flexible programs around your goals and your needs.
- We understand that every child is different and so is every family.
- We are here to empower you and guide you!
- We can be your support and your advisor to ensure you make fully informed decisions about your child\’s future.
- We booked in for a free consult to see how we could help our son. Our expectations were high based on the reviews from the other parents on the website and Karen met those expectations! The consult was extremely positive; Karen and her approach to therapy was what we were looking for, for [our son]. Karen was professional and informative and positively added to our awareness of ABA.
I booked a free consult after wonderful feedback from an aspect consultant as well as from friends in the industry who spoke highly of Karen Wong. [Before the consult] I was confused, worried, stressed, not knowing what to expect or how to get the help for our son. Karen was wonderful, she explained about the process and the kind of therapy that would cater for our son, she was straight forward and honest to me in her opinion which I really appreciate. It made me feel better and have a thorough understanding about autism and how which is the best method to treat our son. All my questions were very well answered and thorough, in a way that eased my concerns and help me to make my decision. TLC was very helpful I admire Karen’s open and honest answers to all of my questions. It helped us to make the right decision for our son and that ABA is a great program with results and with Karen’s advice and guidance gave me an insight to what ABA truly is. I did my research and through friends in the industry who spoke highly of TLC, and with the consultation with Karen and her broad knowledge and explanation it made me make my decision to go with TLC.
I have seen significant progress in [my son] within the first month of therapy, the therapist are wonderful, At first everything was so overwhelming to me trying to understand everything; but when I have raised my worries and problems, the TLC team is fantastic. They are there to help with with all my questions and calm me down when I am a nervous wreck, always giving guidance and direction.Cindy
When I learnt that recovery from Autism was possible, I knew that we had to give T that chance. In 1 year and 4 months our son has gone from a vocabulary of 5 words to using 6 word sentences. I would never have been able to fathom it. He has become a happy and independent little boy who is very capable of expressing himself in his world.
Our son’s program is managed thoroughly and consistently by his supervisor who is exceptionally professional and skilled in the techniques of ABA. I will forever be grateful for her guidance and thankful that we chose [TLC].DN
(Parent of T)
“Thanks again guys! So grateful for everything.
Really impressed with Karen’s testing technique and style and rapport with A, will recommend you to others!! Still can’t believe you got him to concentrate for that long..”JW
(parent of A, 5 ½ yrs)
Our son was diagnosed with an autism spectrum disorder at around three years of age, and we were unsure as to which kind of therapy to pursue. Although we had some initial misgivings in respect of the Applied Behavioural Analysis (ABA) approach, we decided to provisionally explore [TLC]’s offering. This commenced at age three-and-a-half.
After a year and a half of intensive ABA therapy by trained [TLC] therapists, our son has made significant gains in his abilities to care for and express himself – to the point where he can now attend a mainstream school. Not only has he been receiving effective, appropriate therapy that upholds his dignity, our family has also been supported with practical advice which has enhanced the quality of his care outside of therapy.
The staff at [TLC] are genuinely dedicated to improving the prospects of their young charges. We are particularly grateful for the efforts made by Ashmita Naidu, Kristina and Ramona, all under Karen Wong’s careful and sensible guidance. We unreservedly recommend their services.IL
(parent of J)
Commencing an ABA program with [TLC] has been the only effective program we have found for our son. [TLC] have taught my son to enter our world – where you have to listen and respond. Skills have been unearthed, which, I believe, would never otherwise have been found.
The best thing about [TLC] is they know the possibilities that await the journey’s end. We now dream dreams that we would never have dared for our boy. Whatever his future may be, we will know that we have done the best we could do for our son. We have put our son’s future in the hands of Karen Wong and she has not let us down.KH
(parent of M)